According to the National Roofing Contractor Association also known as the NRCA, there are five critical safety leadership skills. We believe that our employees in the field exude these skills in every way possible. From the first day of training, Aspen instills a sense of responsibility and leadership in every one of our of employees.
FIVE CRITICAL SAFETY LEADERSHIP SKILLS
ACCORDING TO THE NRCA
- LEADS BY EXAMPLE
- Establishes safety expectations as a core value
- Shares the vision of safety with team members
- Consistently demonstrates a positive attitude about safety
- “Walks the talk”
2. ENGAGES AND EMPOWERS TEAM
Engages, encourages,and empowers crew member to identify and act upon unsafe situations by
- reporting hazards and safety concerns
- providing solutions
- reporting near misses
- stopping work if necessary
3. ACTIVELY LISTENS AND PRACTICES 3-WAY COMMUNICATION
- Workers listen to hear what team members are saying
- They practice 3-way communication by having a person report the message they heard
4. DEVELOPS TEAM MEMBERS THROUGH TEACHING, COACHING, AND FEEDBACK
- Respectfully teaches and coaches workers
- Watches the learner fix the hazardous situation or perform the task to make sure its done correctly
- Focuses on potential consequences rather than on the team member
- Uses the FIST principle: Facts, Impact, Suggestions, Timely
5. RECOGNIZES TEAM MEMBERS FOR A JOB WELL DONE
- Privately and/or publicly acknowledges team members for going above and beyond for safety.
We believe these skills are pertinent when taking on the role of keeping others safe. Without starting these habits at the core of training, the ability to succeed is low. Safety doesn’t just matters for the workers but safety for customers is also a concern. That is why Aspen always takes these steps when dealing with safety matters.
To learn more about why safety is so important to Aspen check out a few of our other articles on safety or call 877-784-ROOF for more information.
To read up on our previous blog post click here!