The temperature has started to drop, but it hasn’t gotten too cold- quite yet. Before winter comes, it’s important to make sure your roof is prepared for the impending weather. If precautions aren’t taken, it could create lasting damage. We’ve created a Winter roof checklist that can be used to make sure you, and your roof, are ready for the winter ahead:
1. Preform an Inspection of Your Own– Be sure to thoroughly look over your roof. Items to make note of include how loose your shingles are, along with checking your vents, flashing, skylights, chimney, and other joints and openings. If there are any holes or punctures, be sure to address those immediately.
2. Clean Your Gutters– If you’ve read our previous blogs, we make note of this point several times. There’s a reason for it. If your gutters are clogged during the winter months, the debris could end up freezing, which will create additional weight in your gutter system. If neglected, it can cause your gutters to sag and, in extreme cases, to be ripped off the side of your home.
3. Trim Surrounding Trees– If there are trees near your gutters, make sure to trim them before the weather changes. A storm could come through, causing the branches to fall and cause damage to your roof. Additionally, the weight of ice and snow on those limbs could cause them to snap and fall on the roof. Both scenarios could easily happen if provisions aren’t taken.
4. Check Your Attic for Water Damage– The first sign of a damaged roof can be traced back to water leaks. Be sure to search for spots on the walls, puddles on the attic floor, and open holes. If any of these items immediately catch your eye, consult a professional for further assistance.
5. Check Attic Insulation and Ventilation– One of main ways to stay warm and ensure your roof is protected in the winter months, is make sure your roof is properly ventilated. Not only will it cause less headache, but it will also help reduce your utility costs.
6. Schedule a Professional Inspection– To make sure you’re in the clear, schedule an inspection with a professional roofing company. With their knowledge and experience, they could easily catch something you may have missed. Having an extra set of eyes check things over will ease your mind during the winter months.
Our team is helping homeowners across the country make sure they’re prepared for anything this winter may throw at them! Will your house be the next one we visit? Schedule a free inspection with Aspen Contracting and leave the rest to us.